Saturday, June 23, 2012

Oh Me-oh, My-oh, Pico de Gallo

It's been a while, I must admit. And I've had some lovely meals since my last post, but sadly, not enough of them were at home. However, last weekend, I was bestowed with a near-truckload of garden-grown tomatoes and jalapenos, and I could think of nothing better to make than pico de gallo.

It's the simplest of recipes -- chop tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and some cilantro, throw it all in a bowl with some salt, and voi la (or should I say "aqui es"?) Anyway, I was short on cilantro and didn't feel like going out to get some. So I sufficed with the rest, and it was as tasty as it looks:

I should also point out that this pico contained a purple Cherokee heirloom tomato and some adorable little jalapenos, all from Julie's garden. I also used tomatoes from my roommate's friend's garden (and I don't know her, so I can't give her proper credit, but her tomatoes were lovely). Here's the produce:



And just for good measure, here's a shot of the whole bowl. It lasted for almost a week, and it made for a good snack while watching HBO's John Adams miniseries for 4 hours straight.

No comments: